You are not alone if you are a hypochondriac. Join me in my struggles and oft-times comedic look at hypochondria and life. It's a satirical look into hypochondria borne from my sporadic madness. enjoy the ride with a pinch of salt

Friday, December 15, 2006

The small winged blood sucker vampires

When I was very young, about 5 or 6 years old, I had the biggest detest for mosquitoes with all my heart. I don't detest it so much for sucking my blood, making me itch, making me scratch till I'm sore or even bleed at times, or even the irritating high pitched buzzing of the mosquito hovering right by the ears. Maybe you can guess it, it's the fear of the disease transmitted by the mosquitoes to me after each bite.


God forbid, I hated them and are terrified of this small creature - incarnate from hell. I would zealously try to kill them when they are within my reach. My onlyrelief from the dreaded mosquito bites is the trusty Mopiko cream. I'm not too sure are they still in the market, but Mopiko was my best friend then, in times of turmoil :P


Well, so you're wondering why a 5 or 6 year old toddler knows so much about mosquitoes and the potential diseases that they are carrying with them from each bite. Well, it's all thanks to my Mom. She would always update me on news about diseases in the neighbourhood and at that time, the hottest topic was Dengue Fever - the much dreaded disease brought on by mosquitoes. For crying out loud, you can even die from it!! Almost everyday, she will remind me that mosquitoes are really bad and they make you sick. Hence, my hatred for these winged creatures has been born.

So, being a young kid, mosquitoes just favour my blood over the people around me. So I will constantly cry whenever I get bitten by mosquitoes and will pound my parents with a million questions whether would I be suffering from the dreaded Dengue fever. I was quite obsessed over it and on the other hand, they have mastered the art to tune off my irritance. Imagine my annoyance! For being ignored, I have resorted to houding them and following them wherever they went so as to get my answers about my dreaded disease.

So one day, I was bitten by mosquitoes, yet again. I was hollering about it endlessly and haunting my dad about whether would I be dead soon for that damned mosquito bite. Finally, after many rounds of pleading and cajoling with my dad, my dad calmly said, "Better say a last prayer for yourself, ok?.... before it's too late"

That shut me up real good. But I still fear mosquitoes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home